From Wiki-Security, the free encyclopedia of computer security
Ultimate Scan is another nasty malware threat that is masquerading as a computer security tool. This particular seditious malware application is a sneaky cyber scan that attempts to present itself to gullible computer users as a phony anti-virus/anti-spyware program.
Ultimate Scan Family Members and Other Known Associates
This annoying and dangerous fake computer security program is being propagated through malicious web domains, which are actually nasty browser hijacking Trojans. According to Wiki-Security.com research team, Ultimate Scan's browser hijacking partner, Ultimate-scan.com, works to inject this harmful bit of malware secretly onto targeted computer systems.
This malicious website has been linked to other malicious web domains, such as: Ultimate-guard.com, Ultimatedefender.com, and Clean-security.com – which are further associated with the nasty rogue programs: Ultimate Scan, Ultimate Defender and Clean Security. Even more, Ultimate Scan has been categorized as a rogue anti-spyware application that is a descendant from infamous rogue security programs, like XP Home Security 2012, Win 7 Security 2011, Windows 7 Fix, Vista Internet Security 2012, and Personal Shield Pro Version 2.20.
Hailing from such a wide-ranging body of nasty rogue programs, Ultimate Scan can claim many well-known and well-developed rogue security program associates. This means that Ultimate Scan, itself, is well-developed and possesses a large arsenal of well-honed scareware tactics that this rogue application employs to scam unsuspecting users.
Additionally, the Wiki-Security.com malware research team has noted that Ultimate Scan is known to be linked with the fake Microsoft Security Essentials Trojan, as well as the Zlob Trojan – both of which are known to masquerade a fake video codec download or updates.
Fake Security Scans, Bogus Threat Detections and Phony Pop-up Security Alerts
Three of the major components that comprise Ultimate Scan's arsenal of scareware tactics are its security scans, threat detections, and pop-up security alerts. The most important note on these three tactics is that they are all absolutely and entirely bogus.
Ultimate Scan was created and designed to fulfill one sole purpose. This singular purpose is to scam you out of as much of your hard earned cash as Ultimate Scan possible can. More than anything else, Ultimate Scan is a malicious scareware campaign and a cyber scam out to rob you.
Ultimate Scan does this by employing these three major components; first, to convince you that Ultimate Scan is a legitimate computer security tool, and second, to scare you into willingly providing you personal, sensitive, and confidential information to the malicious cyber-criminals that created Ultimate Scan.
Some of the messages contained within the pop-up alerts, generated by Ultimate Scan, have been reported to read as:
Privacy threat! Spyware intrusion detected. Your system is infected. System integrity is at risk. Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords. Click here to perform a security repair.
System danger! Your system security is in danger. Privacy threats detected. Spyware, keyloggers or Trojans may be working the background right now. Perform an in-depth scan and removal now, click here.
Do not be duped by these bogus messages and do not, under any circumstances, trust any program bearing the title 'Ultimate Scan.' This program is a malicious malware infection that should be safely removed upon detection. Remove Ultimate Scan from your computer system before Ultimate Scan has the chance to cause serious, even possibly irreversible damage to your system.
To check your computer for Ultimate Scan, download
SpyHunter Spyware Detection Tool.
SpyHunter spyware detection tool is only a scanner meant to assist you in detecting Ultimate Scan and other threats. If you detect the presence of Ultimate Scan on your PC, you have the opportunity to purchase the SpyHunter removal tool to remove any traces of Ultimate Scan.
Detection of Ultimate Scan (Recommended)
Ultimate Scan is difficult to detect and remove. Ultimate Scan is not likely to be removed through a convenient "uninstall" feature. Ultimate Scan, as well as other spyware, can re-install itself even after it appears to have been removed.
You also run the risk of damaging your computer since you're required to find and delete sensitive files in your system such as DLL files and registry keys. It is recommended you use a good spyware remover to remove Ultimate Scan and other spyware, adware, trojans and viruses on your computer.
Run a Ultimate Scan scan/check to successfully detect all Ultimate Scan files with the SpyHunter Spyware Detection Tool. If you wish to remove Ultimate Scan, you can either purchase the SpyHunter spyware removal tool to remove Ultimate Scan or follow the Ultimate Scan manual removal method provided in the "Remedies and Prevention" section.
Method of Infection
There are many ways your computer could get infected with Ultimate Scan. Ultimate Scan can come bundled with shareware or other downloadable software.
Another method of distributing Ultimate Scan involves tricking you by displaying deceptive pop-up ads that may appear as regular Windows notifications with links which look like buttons reading Yes and No. No matter which "button" that you click on, a download starts, installing Ultimate Scan on your system. Ultimate Scan installs on your computer through a trojan and may infect your system without your knowledge or consent.
If you think you may already be infected with Ultimate Scan, use this SpyHunter Spyware dectection tool to detect Ultimate Scan and other common Spyware infections. After detection of Ultimate Scan, the next advised step is to remove Ultimate Scan with the purchase of the SpyHunter Spyware removal tool.
Ultimate Scan may attempt to change your computer's desktop, hijack your browser, monitor your Internet browsing activities, change system files, and can do this without your knowledge or permission. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to remove all traces of Ultimate Scan from your computer.
Remedies and Prevention
Ultimate Scan, as well as other Spyware, are constantly evolving and becoming more advanced to avoid detection. Ultimate Scan along with its variants can install in different locations and even when you try to uninstall it you find they reappear when you reboot your computer.
Install a good anti-spyware software
When there's a large number of traces of Spyware, for example Ultimate Scan, that have infected a computer, the only remedy may be to automatically run a Spyware scan from a good anti-spyware software designed to detect Ultimate Scan and other types of spyware.
Remove Ultimate Scan manually
Another method to remove Ultimate Scan is to manually delete Ultimate Scan files in your system. Detect and remove the following Ultimate Scan files:
- %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- %Documents and Settings%\All Users\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]
- %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]
- %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temp\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation "TLDUpdates" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe" -a "%1" %*'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe" -a "%1" %*'
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe" -a "%1" %*'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe" -a "%Program Files%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe" -a "%Program Files%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = '"%Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Local Settings\Application Data\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exee" -a "%Program Files%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntiVirusOverride" = '1'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallOverride" = '1'
- McAfee Threat Center - Library of detailed information on viruses.
- How Spyware And The Weapons Against It Are Evolving
- Crimeware: Trojans & Spyware
- Windows System Update - Latest bug fixes for Microsoft Windows