From Wiki-Security, the free encyclopedia of computer security
Arriving on the cyber scene to target and launch malicious attacks against as many vulnerable computer systems and users as it can find, the supposed computer analysis and optimization tool called System Fix is not at all what System Fix seems or claims to be.
Rather than actually comprising any kind of real defragmenting program, System Fix is actually a rogue defragmenter product that seeks to launch nasty scareware campaigns and malicious cyber scams against the computer users who are unlucky enough to have their machines infected and compromised with this nasty rogue anti-spyware application.
The System Fix Family of Malware
This particular fake computer defragmenting software is a direct product of the malicious creations produced by criminal masterminds responsible for the fake HDD family of malware products. The fake HDD family of rogue computer analysis and optimization tools is a family composed of malicious scareware-type products that appear on infected computer systems in the form of individual, rogue computer defragmenters.
This particular family of malevolent and completely bogus computer products is quite large and seems to be always growing in size; thus, System Fix can claim a lengthy list of identical, carbon copy-like brother and sister rogue anti-spyware programs. To name a few, a handful of System Fix's malicious relatives are HDD Repair, PC Repair, Master Utilities, Privacy Protection, System Recovery, Data Recovery, System Restore, and Data Restore.
Each of these individual malware-based rogue defragmenters can be considered exact replicas of one another. Fundamentally, apart from their varying displayed names, each member of the fake HDD family of rogue defragmenters comprises the same scareware scam that works to initiate fake system/hard drive scans, as well as generate bogus hard drive error/problem detection reports and phony pop-up error alerts on the computer systems that this family of malicious applications manages to infect successfully.
As a member of the fake HDD family, System Fix is not an exceptional case, but rather a replica of the scareware scams that served as precursors to this particular System Fix scareware scam.
Identifying Bogus Messages Generated by System Fix
According to Wiki-security.com malware researchers, this nasty threat has been directly linked to a number of malicious and entirely bogus pop-up alerts that are typically generated by the fake HDD family of malware products. A few of the specific alerts that System Fix may very well generate on compromised computer systems are:
Can not find file: C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
File may be deleted or corrupt.
It is strongly recommended to check the disk for errors.
System Fix detected an error on your hard drive when trying to access a file
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Perform data recovery now?
Your hard drive contains a lot of critical errors!
A critical error has occurred while indexing data stored on hard drive. System restart required.
A problem detected while reading boot operation system files.
All your data including installed programs, documents, email, etc. are at risk of irreversible corrupt.
The trial version does not have low-level access module needed to fix the errors found.
It is strongly recommended to activate the full version software with necessary modules. Activate full version now?
Since the System Fix scam was designed to scam targeted users by manipulating them into believing that their computer systems' hard drives are seriously compromised and experiencing all kinds of non-existent errors and other problems, each of these supposed alerts are actually malicious messages containing nothing but blatant and intentional lies and falsehoods meant to scare you into purchasing the full/registered version of this worthless software.
Do not be fooled by System Fix. Remove this malicious software from your computer system, before System Fix has the chance to seriously damage your machine or the data stored on it in any way.
To check your computer for System Fix, download
SpyHunter Spyware Detection Tool.
SpyHunter spyware detection tool is only a scanner meant to assist you in detecting System Fix and other threats. If you detect the presence of System Fix on your PC, you have the opportunity to purchase the SpyHunter removal tool to remove any traces of System Fix.
Detection of System Fix (Recommended)
System Fix is difficult to detect and remove. System Fix is not likely to be removed through a convenient "uninstall" feature. System Fix, as well as other spyware, can re-install itself even after it appears to have been removed.
You also run the risk of damaging your computer since you're required to find and delete sensitive files in your system such as DLL files and registry keys. It is recommended you use a good spyware remover to remove System Fix and other spyware, adware, trojans and viruses on your computer.
Run a System Fix scan/check to successfully detect all System Fix files with the SpyHunter Spyware Detection Tool. If you wish to remove System Fix, you can either purchase the SpyHunter spyware removal tool to remove System Fix or follow the System Fix manual removal method provided in the "Remedies and Prevention" section.
Method of Infection
There are many ways your computer could get infected with System Fix. System Fix can come bundled with shareware or other downloadable software.
Another method of distributing System Fix involves tricking you by displaying deceptive pop-up ads that may appear as regular Windows notifications with links which look like buttons reading Yes and No. No matter which "button" that you click on, a download starts, installing System Fix on your system. System Fix installs on your computer through a trojan and may infect your system without your knowledge or consent.
If you think you may already be infected with System Fix, use this SpyHunter Spyware dectection tool to detect System Fix and other common Spyware infections. After detection of System Fix, the next advised step is to remove System Fix with the purchase of the SpyHunter Spyware removal tool.
System Fix may attempt to change your computer's desktop, hijack your browser, monitor your Internet browsing activities, change system files, and can do this without your knowledge or permission. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to remove all traces of System Fix from your computer.
Remedies and Prevention
System Fix, as well as other Spyware, are constantly evolving and becoming more advanced to avoid detection. System Fix along with its variants can install in different locations and even when you try to uninstall it you find they reappear when you reboot your computer.
Install a good anti-spyware software
When there's a large number of traces of Spyware, for example System Fix, that have infected a computer, the only remedy may be to automatically run a Spyware scan from a good anti-spyware software designed to detect System Fix and other types of spyware.
Remove System Fix manually
Another method to remove System Fix is to manually delete System Fix files in your system. Detect and remove the following System Fix files:
- %AllUsersProfile%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- %Desktop%\System Fix.lnk
- %StartMenu%\Programs\System Fix\
- %StartMenu%\Programs\System Fix\System Fix.lnk
- %StartMenu%\Programs\System Fix\Uninstall System Fix.lnk
- %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\System Fix.lnk
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Use FormSuggest" = 'Yes'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "WarnonBadCertRecving" = '0'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings "CertificateRevocation" = '0'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations "LowRiskFileTypes" = '.zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;.scr;'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments "SaveZoneInformation" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop "NoChangingWallPaper" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer "NoDesktop" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = '1'
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = '1'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download "CheckExeSignatures" = 'no'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced "Hidden" = '0'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced "ShowSuperHidden" = '0'
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe"
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "<[RANDOM CHARACTERS]"
- Remove System Fix - Easy System Fix removal steps. Parasite database on how to remove spyware and rogue anti-spyware programs.
- McAfee Threat Center - Library of detailed information on viruses.
- How Spyware And The Weapons Against It Are Evolving
- Crimeware: Trojans & Spyware
- Windows System Update - Latest bug fixes for Microsoft Windows